Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hendrix Original

Ah! Its funny how even on vacations you get so busy! Sorry I havent been updating, I'm catching up today before making the final journey back home to Minnesota. I saw a TON of cool things over the weekend so I am probably going to do separate blogs for each day so you dont get overwhelmed : )

So on Thursday I got the chance to hang out a bunch with my family and get in touch with some of my Garner "entrepreneurship" roots. There are a lot of people in my family that have the entrepreneurial spirit, and I am eternally grateful for that because I can always turn to someone who has been there when I need help.

The oldest business my family owns is called Garner's Jewlery and Exchange and their main office is in Taylor, Michigan. In addition to be a jewelry store, the store also functions as a pawn shop. When I was a kid my sister and I would always come to Michigan for the summer and we would rush to the store to see what discount DVD's and videogames we could find ; ) They have a HUGE selection of items, everything from TV's and CD's to instruments and guns. If you live in the Taylor/Detroit/Redford area and are looking for something, come to Garner's and they can help you find whatever you need!




In the same building as Garner's Jewelry and Exchange, my family also owns and operates Garner Properties and Management, where they manage over 1200 properties in the Detroit area. But wait, that's not all. My cousin Aaron also started his own law firm, the Law Offices of Aaron D. Cox. All of our family businesses specialize in customer service and making sure that our clients receive the best service out there. It makes me proud to be the next family member to be starting their own business : )

So after a day of family reconnecting, the whole lot of us went out to downtown Detroit where my Aunt Brenda works at the MGM Grand - Detroit. After some drinks and sushi at Ignite, we all met up at Opus One, a schwanky little restaurant of Larned St. Because it is restaurant week for many of the businesses downtown, we got to have a full sample of the menu, from appetizers to desert. It was great because the whole table ordered different things so there was a bunch of sharing and tasting of everyone's dishes. The food was absolutely delicious, and the wine never stopped flowing ; ) It was great to sit and chat with my family and get more advice on how to further my business. Per Aaron and Uncle Chris's advice, I am putting out a help wanted listing for my "catch phrase". Apparently I need a catchy slogan that people can associate my business with and I have been trying to come up with something but am not having any luck. So, if anyone out there has any suggestions for a catch phrase for em.my events, post it here or let me know and there will be a prize for the person who comes up with the best slogan!! : D


Overall the Michigan trip was just great, I love being with my family and definitely need to make it a point to see all of them more often! Thanks to everyone for having me and to Uncle Chris and Aunt Brenda for letting me stay with them!
Song of the Day: This trip has been so fun and relaxing, especially when I am just chilling at my aunt and uncle's house with Turk. So the song of the day is "Banana Pancakes" by Jack Johnson cause its just a fun little song that makes me smile and makes me want to just do whatever all the time, haha ; )
"This Song is meant to keep ya from doing what you're supposed to, like waking up too early. Maybe we can sleep in, I'll make you banana pancakes, pretend like it's the weekend now. And we could pretend it all the time"

Bravo Beverage: According to my Uncle Chris and his friend Gordon, this drink is the King of gin drinks. I am a fan of gin, but it has a very, so to say "ginny", taste to it so if you dont like gin I wouldnt really recommend it. The drink is called the Hendrix Original, and my Uncle is very particular on how you fix it. I dont remember exactly what is in it, but the two key ingredients are Hendrix gin and powdered sugar. I was a little skeptical at first, but after tasting it, I really liked it! Now its not a drink that I can see myself ordering all the time (fancy gin is expensive!), but maybe every now and then : )

No comments:

Post a Comment