Friday, September 24, 2010

Oktoberfest

Happy Friday!!

I am very excited this morning because not only is it the weekend but I am leaving for my weeklong roadtrip across the Midwest! I have been planning this trip for weeks now and I am super excited to get going and see all my friends along the way : ) I am going to be taking a ton of pictures and hitting up some fun places so I will keep you updated with my travels!

My first stop will be in lovely Lacrosse, home to the even lovelier Lindsey. I will be setting out this afternoon though the rain soaked region of southern Minnesota into Wisconsin, and although I think I will have to change my route a bit because of the flooding yesterday, I am really hoping that some of the fall foliage will be springing up along the river. There is really nothing prettier than the fall colors, especially along the riverbanks of the Mississippi! A tree in my front yard has already turned, its a real fiery red in a sea of green in the neighborhood! Another great thing about these festive colors is they are absolutely beautiful in fall weddings. Deep browns and natural earth colors with popping reds, oranges, and yellows is gorgeous in bouquets, centerpieces, and even bridesmaids dresses! The wedding I did over labor day weekend for Jen and Matt Kruse had this kind of fall theme with latte colored bridesmaid dresses and deep red and orange silk flowers for the bouquets, which Jen made herself!

Getting back to the October/fall/roadtrip theme, the big draw to Lacrosse, WI this weekend is the annual Oktoberfest festival, which is celebrating its 50th Anniversary! The original "Oktoberfest" was held on October 12th, 1810 in Munich, Germany. To publically celebrate their marriage, Crown Price Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildbrughaused organized a great horse race that was so successful it turned into a yearly tradition and BAM! Oktoberfest was born.

Oktoberfest, USA was first celebrated in 1962 in Lacrosse, WI as a way to promote local pride, obtain national publicity, and engage civic involvement for the Lacrosse area. Now the 9 day festival is celebrated by joining in on the community led parade, consuming HUGE amounts of tasty German food and delicious Bavarian brews, and enjoying general German merriment : )

I cant wait to get down there and start celebrating! Maybe I'll start with the beverage of the day, Sam Adams Octoberfest! "Sam Adams Octoberfest masterfully blends together five roasts of malt to create a delicious harmony of sweet flavors including caramel and toffee" Well thank you Samueladams.com, I couldnt agree with you more ; )


Since every good roadtrip needs to have a rockin sound track, my song of the day is one of my favorite "Rock Out In My Car" songs; "All Right Now" by Free. I am a total car dancer, and I rock my socks off when I am listening to this song!
"I took her home, to my place, watching every move on her face. She said "Look, whats your game baby, are you trying to put me in shame?" Baby I said "Slow, slow, dont go so fast, dont you think that LOOOVE can last?" She said "LOVE? Lord above, now you're gonna trick me in love!"

No comments:

Post a Comment