Monday, September 27, 2010

Local Food for Thought

Go small businesses!

Today is my second day in Madison, and I celebrating by reconnecting with some great friends and eating some fabulous food!! This morning I had breakfast with my "Madison Parents" Tom and Cheryl Chanos at Marigold Kitchen.

The food at Marigold is absolutely delicious and I would fall over in excitement if they opened a cafe in the Twin Cities area. Marigold Kitchen was opened nine years ago by co-owners Phillip Hurley and John Gadau. The pair chose Madison because of it's welcoming, community atmosphere and slightly urban setting. Every time I go out to eat with the Chanos's we go to Marigold, the food is just that good. Not only do they offer unique twists on regular menu items, but they also stick with the Madison community feel by using fresh foods from local markets and farms. I personally am a big fan of their grilled angus burger and the ever so purpley-delightful coleslaw, but as we were there for breakfast this morning, I had the scrambler that was magnificently delicious. If you are in the Madison area and are looking for a place to eat, Marigold Kitchen on South Pinckney Street is the place to be. They also offer a full catering menu, so check them out for your next event!



So one would think after such a heavenly breakfast that food life just couldnt get any better, at least in the same day. But o wait, it did. Getting back to my breakfast dates this morning, Tom and Cheryl Chanos have been great friends and mentors to me ever since I moved here in 2006 and coached their youngest daughter Lexi. Not only did these two wonderful people give me rides all over the Midwest and make me feel at home -away-from-home, but they are also very successful entrepreneurs. In addition to owning Badger Consultants, a Madison based, independent research company, Tom and Cheryl are Midwest franchisers of the sandwich shop Capriotti's. After opening two locations in downtown Milwaukee and Middleton, Wisconsin, the Chanos's had the grand opening of their downtown Madison shop, located on the corner of Regent St. and Park St. The sandwiches at Capriotti's are absolutely delicious; they use only fresh ingredients and jam pack their subs full of meat and, if you like, spicy-peppery goodness. If you are near any of these Wisconsin locations you should definitely go out and try some of this fantastic food, and support some local, serial entrepreneurs! But if you aren't in the Midwest area, don't fret. Capriotti's is a nationally operated franchise, check out their website for a location near you!




So as you can see, the food selections on "The Great Midwest Roadtrip" have been fabulous, and the good times just keep on rolling. Not only am I getting margarita's at Pasqual's with Laura tonight, I think my friend Colin is taking me to Bluephies for dinner, another local restaurant favorite which I have yet to go to so I am really excited. I've heard they have something called a "Vodkatorium" where they showcase all sorts of premium vodka. I'm not the biggest vodka drinker, but I might have to make an exception for this...who knows, maybe I'll have a new favorite drink to show you all tomorrow!



Song of the Day: To celebrate all the delicious foodness that is going on today, my song of the day is "Too Much Food" by Jason Mraz. Jason Mraz is one of my favorite artists, I like how he jams his songs full of mouth mumbling lyrics, which make me smile every time I sing them : )

"Pass me the spoon, pass the analytical knife, cause your about to get, cut up or get cut down, its all about the word play, all about the sound of the tone of my voice, you gotta let me make my choice alone, before my food gets cold. You better shut up or get shot down, it's all about the know how, its all just a matter of taste. Stop telling me the way I gotta play now, you're putting too much food on my plate!"

No comments:

Post a Comment